As good "tourists" we were ready to take a full memory card of pictures but that was maybe a bit optimistic. There are 2 kinds of people in photo-world. Those that love to be in a picture and those that don't. Life can be simple. In Nigeria you have to ask if you can take someone picture (or do it on the fly) because they could be offended, although that seemed a minority. Most people came up to us and said: Snap me, snap my daughter, etc... and proudly they would stand in front of their shop and pose in a way that would make big-time super-models blush. Daniel, the guy in the picture was like this, but when I took his picture, someone stepped up to me, really angry and said I could not go around and take pictures of people like that. When I explained that Daniel asked me himself and what we are doing in Nigeria, he turned all pussy on me and told me his name was Innocent. He shook my hand for 5 minutes... Stepping away from Daniel's shop a man comes up to me and said: "You can take my sister back with you to your country." When I told him I could not do that, and jokingly said "No no, you don't want that, I 'm really not such a good person" his friend steps up and says: "My friend... your a goooood man, I know, and you know why I know ... ? My name is Angel John, and I know when people are good at heart." I can certainly live another 3 weeks on that compliment :-).
In the market you see everyone at work. Children, men and wom
Following stories coming up real soon...
- The power of religion: a story on local weddings, Indian newyear and praise the Lord, Hallelujah, Sunday morning church.
- What's up with Divine ?
- The tree of power
Volgens mijn vlees-kennis is het een stuk van een Hippopotamus! Of misschien wel een Giant African Water Shrew. Die om de hoek in die vijver leefde :-)
BeantwoordenVerwijderenMeer beesten that live in Nigeria on : http://www.animalinfo.org/country/nigeria.htm